CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

It's Official!!

At about 10:30 am local time, Annie officially and legally became my daughter. The G & R (Giving and Receiving) Ceremony turned out to be quite anti-climatic. Just some signing of papers and that was it. Getting Annie at the orphanage yesterday was the "real" thing for me. She was brought to me, we got to sit with the Assistant Director for a little while and she told us a few things about Annie including how much she was loved and enjoyed, that she's a good eater and that she's very smart. They are so right on that one. She doesn't miss anything. She's also an entertainer. We spent pretty much all day yesterday either playing with her (because we wanted to, not because she can't play by herself) or just simply watching her in fascination. So yes that's why all everyone got yesterday was a picture. That and the fact that she only took two 15 minute naps the entire day.


It's hot here in Vietnam as you can imagine. Doesn't bother Annie of course but the rest of us are oh so happy for air conditioning. As I mentioned earlier I have never seen traffic like this in my life. Thuy, our in-country facilitator, says that there are 10 million people living in Ho Chi Minh City but she thinks there are more because it's very easy for people to come here and find a job to support themselves on $5 dollars a day! One of the tours that she has arranged for us is to see the real Vietnam. The Rex Hotel is definitely 5 star here and we are quite sheltered. We (there are two other families traveling with us) are all looking forward to seeing more. Although I already feel like I saw a good sampling going to three different orphanages on Sunday.

Now pictures, we are going to have a bit of a delay with pictures. Rie forgot the cable to her camera. When I found out I said "no worries I have mine, they are pretty universal now" Wrong. And yes she's taken the bulk of the photos. However here are a sampling from the few I've taken . Enjoy.


Talking on my phone, got my keys, what more could a girl want?






Minor (very minor) traffic

The courtyard of Annie's Orphanage





Can you imagine seeing wiring like this in the USA???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! She's beautiful! Enjoy your time in HCMC. We wish we were there with you!
We loved every minute we spend in HCMC.
Heather
mama 2 E
Born in HCMC (Tam Binh 2)Feb. 2007
Adopted Feb. 2008

Mr. Peacock said...

That is completely awesome.

So what now, a tour for you two and Annie through Annie's home country and then back to the states in a week?

Has she said her first word yet?

If not her babbling will probably mean something in Vietnamese, so get your translation dictionary out.

Her first word might be something like "Tingau Beeju," which could translate to something like Nuclear Fissure. :)

Unknown said...

Marti,

I can't believe how so gorgeous Annie is, or how gorgeous the orphanage playground is. I CAN believe how much fun you are having with her!AND, she has SHOES! Thank you so much for the updates on your new little girl! What a love. I know she will keep you involved in her world for the rest of her life!

Candi

G&K said...

Congrats on the G&R.